As many of you know, I am 25 and single. That’s right—I said it. Because of this, you may not think I am the best person to give advice on how tell if a guy is a keeper. But to that I say, mind your business about my love life and instead learn from the knowledge that comes from my years of interactions with non-keepers. Hopefully—by learning about some of the ways to tell if a guy is a keeper—you will one day find someone worth keeping around.
1. He has kind eyes. As poets have said for years, the eyes are the window to the soul. Listen to the poets of yesteryear—these fellas know what they're talking about.
2. He treats women with respect. This applies to all women, not just his mama. It reaches to his sisters, his friends, his friend’s girlfriends, etc. Men are meant to be gentlemen. As such, they should treat each woman like a lady.
3. He believes in something. There is nothing more annoying than when a guy changes who he is according to the people he is around. For example, if he acts like a keeper when he’s with you and then talks derogatorily about women when he’s with the boys—watch it. He's no good.
4. He makes you feel beautiful. Everyone wants to feel loved, adored and beautiful—it's human nature. And if he's not making you feel this way, quit wasting your time.
5. He makes you laugh.
6. He’s more than just a pretty face. So your guy is cute, handsome, dreamy, yada yada yada...that’s real nice and all, but if he can’t hold a conversation, what are you supposed to talk about ten months from now, let alone ten years from now?
7. He is not mean. I know this may sound like a no brainer, but from experience and observations, it’s hard to realize how mean someone is when you are in the middle of a relationship. No one should be mean to you...there is no excuse for it. If he’s mean to you, give him the old hasta la vista baby. He’ll regret it later and you’ll be better off.
The list of keeperdoms could go on and on, but for now we're going to cut if off right there.
One last word of wisdom. Remember as you are learning the steps to life, that it’s okay to be alone. Because you deserve to be with a real keeper and not some creeper.